Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Eye Anatomy and Disorders: An in-depth look at to my latest Dx

Eye Anatomy and Disorders:  An in-depth look at to my latest Dx



Since Carolina seems to like to give degrees out (sorry I had too), I should be a Doctor by now, with free parking and a salary.

As many now I have been battling one thing after another since 12/2007 when I stepped on the UNC Hospital Grounds.  I never really liked science I even figured out how to get out of High School Chemistry and still managed to get accepted to State, UNC-Wilmington, Charlotte and UNC, by taking Marine Biology instead and believe or not it was harder to get into State which was the last school I got into cause dummy me picked the School of Design as my first choice luckily they had started a new program 1st year college that had space.   Well back to the topic, Medical Terminology and learning the diseases, treatments, and reading medical journals and studies.

Both my cancer Triple Negative Breast Cancer and autoimmune disease Sjogren ’s syndrome are newer discovered disease’s which doctors are still studying and learning.   From what I have learned from fellow patients and recent studies there may be a correlation between Breast Cancer and Autoimmune Disorders.   My case seems to be one that other now has other doctor’s pouring over my file according to my oncologist. 

I have had a few questions about terminology and why cauterization.  So today’s lesson is an overview of eye structure and definition of my dx

First let’s take a look at the Structure of the Eye:










Dx. 1 Posterior blepharitis- this issue involves the Meiomian gland as noted in Figure 2 at the bottom, according to dry-eyes-leaflet, the gland is responsible for making an olly liquid called Lipid which covers the outer layer of the tear film.  This layer of the eye is supposed to reduce evaporation of the watery tears and keep the tear surface smooth.

Sjogren’s is an autoimmune disorder that loves to cause inflammation and destroy glands within the body.  As we learned early in science water plays a vital role within the human body, according to the USCG “Up to 60% of the human adult body is water.”  




In laymen terms my immune system is attacking (inflaming) the Melomian Gland that is responsible for lubricating my eye



Cells of the conjunctiva at the front of the eye and inner part of the eyelids also make a small amount of mucus-like fluid. This allows the watery tears to spread evenly over the surface of the eye.

The tears then drain down small channels (canaliculi) on the inner side of the eye into a tear sac. From here they flow down a channel called the tear duct (also called the nasolacrimal duct) into the nose.”  http://www.patient.co.uk/health/dry-eyes-leaflet



Part 2: Coming soon: Steps that lead to Cauterization and how it is done preview



No comments:

Post a Comment