Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Another pill really? Now on board Gabapentin




If I am not mistaken this was one of the drugs mentioned by the neurologist when my sleep study was done but the Gastro doctors wanted another drug.  My Rheumatologist actually wanted to put me on Lyrica but my insurance company said no it had to be Gabapentin.   I had to get money from my sister to get this latest medication, over the last 3 months my Pharmacy bill has exploded due to my immune system savage attack on my eyes.  The month of September is not going to be a good month, I want to attend the Metastic Breast Cancer Convention being held at chapel hill on Sept. 19-21st but not sure if that will be possible since I will have a pre-op appt on Sept 17th and day surgery Sept 30th which means money spent traveling to and from the coast. http://mbcn.org/

Back to the new drug, this drug is being used to address soft tissue pain as my Rheumatologist put it, basically when I wake up 90% of the time it feels like I have been pelted with paint balls or worked out for 12 hours.  I also periodically thru the day have the feeling of muscle soreness after doing simple tasks as washing dishes and even when in rest mode.   I am already taken Flexeril for the fibromaylagia whose side effect is dry mouth (which is already really bad before the meds), we had already tried switching to Cymbalta and that was a complete failure.  It didn't take long for me and my Oncologist to figure out exactly how much pain the flexeril was blocking.  So the plan is now to take the Flexeril at night only instead 3x a day and take the new drug Gabapentin 2x a day.

On top of all that the nerve test I had a couple of months ago confirmed what Dr. R thought was causing all the issues with my hands severe carpal tunnel in both hands.  This isn't the first time I heard the word Carpal Tunnel that is how I got off the register at Walmart and on the floor.  I was scanning a bucket of kitty on register 1 (before the remodel when McDonald's was still in Walmart)  when not only me but the girls at the Service desk heard the pop, me almost drop the F-bomb as the kitty litter lands harmlessly on the counter.  Even the CSM heard and I was sent to the back handed worker comp papers and was off to Urgent Care.  Funny thing fast forward  20 years and the spot where the tendon popped is a ganglion that apparently has been there a significant time to the point where my body re-routed nerves and veins around it.  So I wonder if Walmart can pick up what my insurance didn't cover for the nerve test since after all it is the Cash Register and the Kitty litter fault....lol..................I have 2 options shots that want last long or surgery, I took option 3 neither...and those wrist guards they say use are freaking useless and actually causes me more pain.

I am working on 2 more in-dept post the first  I will be focusing on the anatomy of the eyes and explaining treatments in depth there has been some confusing and many questions such as why cauterize tear ducts?  Also taking an in-depth look at Gabapentin.

No comments:

Post a Comment